36 Questions – Mystic Messenger Review
Mystic Messenger is the new mobile game for girls. Developed by the Korean company Cheritz, and launched in 2016, it has become one of the most popular titles within the dating games or Otomes . It is available for both Android and iOS and you can enjoy it for free, although with the use of microtransactions the game unleashes its full potential.
General View The argument is as follows: you are a young girl who has downloaded an application to talk to handsome guys (we get the hint, Cheritz!) But instead, a stranger hacks your phone and after a little discussion gets you into the department someone else. After that it disappears without leaving trace of its cybernetic presence and you accidentally enter to the private chat of the FRG.
The Rika Fundraising Association (RFA) is an organization dedicated to charity, the members will be the protagonists of the routes that you will play and you seem to have to take the place as the leader despite your undesirable presence at the beginning.
As in most female-oriented titles, you are the protagonist and you must choose a boy as your potential partner within history, interact with him and reach a good, normal or bad end, depending on the answers you have chosen one. The typical categories of male characters are present: the sweet and energetic boy, the cold businessman with a heart of gold, the member of the group that is always quiet and quite calm, and the narcissist with a dark past. Mystic Messenger is situated in the current era and makes references to characters, brands and elements known enough for the players.
So if this game has everything to be quite generic … what is it that contributes? Why is it so addictive?
For starters, the gameplay is a plus point. The love story is presented through messages you receive from the interface of the game, each episode or level is presented as a daily conversation. The game lasts for 11 days per character route, and every day you must reply the messages in the chat room in real time, as well as calls and SMS. This is a key point of the game, this dynamic has managed to hook users who were not familiar with otome games.
Here are different sections to tell you about various aspects of the game. If you have any questions or comments that we do not put, we invite you to share it with us, either by this way or by our social networks.
1. What gender is Mystic Messenger? It is a dating game or otome (derived from the Japanese word for young woman). Usually they are presented in visual novels, in which the protagonist will be surrounded by several boys between whom it will have to choose one to follow its route, that is to say, to interact with him in a more romantic way.
2. On what platforms is it available? On Android devices with versions 2.3 or higher, and on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with iOS 8.1 or later operating system.
3. How much does it cost? It is totally free, but with microtransactions available.
4. What languages are available? The audio is Korean and as for subtitles, so far it is only in English and Korean.
5. I’ve never played an otome or girls games are you going to like me? If you like romance and are familiar with visual novels, the answer is YES! Even if you do not know so much about these types of games, but love stories with a touch of drama you love, this game is for you.
6. I’m already familiar with girls games, should I give it a try? Definitely. Mystic Messenger proposes a totally different dynamic to what we are accustomed to. Here the conversations and small interactions are the main thing. Also, when did you play an otome in real time?
7. Mystic Messenger is played as a visual novel? Yes and no. The main mode of the game is the interaction with the characters through rooms of conversation, SMS and calls. All this is visible from the main interface of the game.
Eventually, after some chats, you’ll be able to see visual novels that will tell segments of the story, and appear marked. You can learn more about the style of the game in our gameplay section.
8. Can I interact with other players? No, unlike other games where you can send gifts and compete for the best score with other users, in Mystic Messenger it’s just you, those beautiful 4 guys and the sweet Jaehee.
9. How many characters are there? Playable, only one: you. You can choose your nickname and user icon.
10. Who are the protagonists of the routes? There are 5 characters in total, Yoosung, Jaehee and Zen in casual story; And Jumin and Seven in deep story. In addition there are three extra characters that do not have routes: V, Rika and “unknown”.
Note that Mystic Messenger presents a girl: Jaehee, who can also be selected as romantic interest, is an important innovation because normally in this type of games are only available male characters routes.
11. How do I select the route I want to play? From day 1 to 4 you should concentrate on a character and try to get as much affection as possible through the interactions in the chats, since from day 5 will automatically be assigned the path of the character with which you have shown greater compatibility.
12. How do chats work? Available chats will appear at certain times of the day. The day starts from 12:00 am until 12:00 pm so yes, you will receive notifications of the game at 3 am as it is in real time. If you miss a chat, you can buy it with hourglasses so you do not lose hearts that can give you the answers. In case you can not buy it, you can only read it without the possibility of getting hearts.
13. How do responses work within chats? Whenever you enter a chat there will be a specific topic, for example “Yoosung and final exams”, the characters will tell you opinions or problems related to that topic and there will come a time when you must respond. It depends on whether you are within the casual route or the deep story mode, you will have 2 to 4 answers to choose from.
14. How do my responses affect the outcome of the game? Each answer can give you a heart of a different color for each character: coffee for Jaehee, green for Yoosung, gray for Zen, purple for Jumin, and red for Seven. If you choose a response that annoys a character, it will break a heart and take one from your inventory.
15. And what good are my hearts? They have two functions: the first is to increase compatibility with that character, the more compatible you are, the more likely you are to unlock your route on the 5th day. The second function is to get hourglasses, every 100 hearts you get 1 hourglass.
16. Watches? They are the currency within the game, the clocks allow you to buy chats that you have lost, as well as get greater interactions with the characters. You can even unlock deep story mode and buy the After ending episodes, only available with hourglasses. With approximately $ 50 MXN you can buy 150 hour clocks. You will need approximately 320 hour clocks to unlock all the extra content.
17. Are there different game modes? Yes, there are two types of stories. Casual story and deep story. In the first you can interact with all the characters, but you can only follow the path of Yoosung, Zen and Jaehee. On the other hand, in the deep story you can also play the routes of Jumin and Seven, although it has a cost of 80 arena clocks to unlock this mode.
18. What are the differences between these game modes? The available routes, in addition, when you play in deep story mode the dialogues, the elections and the visual novels tend to be broader.
19. Do I have to wait time to enter the chats or see the visual novels? Yes, so many chats, such as messages, calls and visual novels will appear at certain times of the day. You can not speed up the process, if you miss a chat or have to return a call you can use hourglasses. To participate in a chat that you missed you must pay 5 hourglass.
20. Do the responses in visual novels affect my development en route? Yes, only in deep story mode and there are really few visual novels that will give you hearts for the answers.
21. What about SMS and calls? They do not directly affect the outcome of the routes, but you may have an extra bonus if you have more interaction with your chosen character. That is, he answers all his messages and calls if possible. Regarding the calls, some characters are more difficult to contact than others. Especially you may have problems when trying to locate Seven. Each call has a cost of 5 hour clocks. Sometimes when you finish a conversation it is possible that they call you, you have 10 seconds to take the call.
22. How do I get guests for the party? In some conversations the characters will propose new guests, you can accept or reject them. If you accept, you will receive an e-mail that you must respond.
23. Are e-mail responses important? Quite. One of your main missions in the game is to get different characters to attend the party of the FRG. With two correct answers of three, people will accept your invitation. With more than 15 guests you will get a good ending; If you get less, you will only reach a normal end.
24. What does it mean when a caution appears on the chat screen? This means that based on the answers you have given, you can continue playing until you reach the end on day 11 or you can get a bad ending.
25. How do I avoid a bad end? If you have reached this end of the game there is nothing you can do to go back. From the beginning you should try to answer correctly depending on the route to which you want to arrive.
26. Do I have checkpoints? What if I can not play for a few days? There are no checkpoints as such, but there is an option to save your progress within the game and resume it hours or days later. When you return to the game, the chat will be charged closest to the time you saved your progress.
27. How many endings are there? In total there are 38: 1 bad end of the prologue (the first 4 days), 1 bad common end for the route of the casual story mode, 1 bad final common for the route of the deep story mode and 35 for the individual routes: 1 good end , 1 normal end, 5 bad end (some can be pretty bad and in others you just do not stay with the guy).
28. Is video game difficult? It depends on the character whose path you want to get. For Yoosung, Jaehee and Jumin will not be as complicated as the answers they need are quite predictable. Zen and Seven have complicated times in which the correct answers will not be so simple to discover. (You can always use a guide; D).
29. Is there any extra material? Yes, there are the After Endings for each route and two secret endings that you can unlock once you finish all the stories, or buy them.
30. What about collectibles? The photos you unlock will be stored in your inventory, as well as all the conversations and audio calls, once you finish the route you can repeat them whenever you want.
31. What can we say about artistic work? The art of the characters is quite simple, but does not lose the touch of professionalism in the finishes. Each of the boys has a reduced range of expressions. However, the best thing about the visual field you will get from the album images.
32. And the music? The Cheritz team provided us with a theme for Mystic Messenger es-pec-ta-cu-lar. With versions in Korean and English, it is quite sticky, so much that it seems taken from a multi-award-winning k-pop album.
33. Do the dialogues have audio? Indeed, a template of professional voice actors gives life to the characters. The work done is impeccable. There is no moment of discord between voice and personality, the dialogues transmit the appropriate sensations in the necessary moments. Cry, laughter, anger, love … they have it all. The audio is so good that the emotions are there, even if you’re listening to a Korean audio that you do not understand at all.
34. Will I play it more than once? TOTALLY. The options of the game are quite broad, both the possibility of different endings as the range of answers in calls and collectible images draw attention to play the route of a character at least three times.
35. Is it worth spending my money on hour clocks? Yes. You will get extra bonus material, as well as speed up the game and live the experience completely. Hourglasses are inexpensive and allow you to access quality content.
36. What is the best thing about Mystic Messenger? The innovation it presents in dating games. It is a totally different dynamic than usual in titles in this category. The feeling of waiting for a message or a call from your favorite boy makes the experience more real and enjoyable. Mystic Messenger manages to create a smile as soon as you can read on the screen that they call you or send you a message.
It’s designed so organically that you can really hook up for weeks. Not only do they offer laughter or fun, there are also drama and raw issues. While you are the protagonist not everything that happens is for you, unlike many otomes in which you are the constant victim. The story is complex and plausible, although it has some flaws or incongruities is novel and interesting.
37. And the worst? The lack of new content, in other games of this type we can find special episodes for Christmas season, Valentine’s Day, Halloween, etc. Not here, we only have the 5 routes and their after endings. So forget about seeing Yoosung buying you a teddy bear in February or Jumin helping you to put the Christmas tree. At the same time, limitation in two languages is a disadvantage for those Spanish speakers who do not speak Korean or English.
Mystic Messenger Final Verdict
Mystic Messenger was a bomb during the first months of its launch, both fans of the genre and new users fell before the new proposal of Cheritz. Youtubers, bloggers, and Otomes forums started to get guides, tips, fanarts and curious facts about the game in an impressive way. It’s a worthwhile title and you should play either if you are familiar with the genre or if it is your first approach. I dare say that Mystic Messenger hack – get free hourglass online generator tool could be placed inside the iconic titles in the category otome if it worked in the limitations that it has. These problems are based on the poor relationship between the developer and users, as well as on language barriers and the lack of new material.